Sunday, July 19, 2009

Play- Fiddler on the Roof

OK will admit a bit of prejudice here. From my childhood I have listened to the soundtrack of Fiddler on the Roof, of have been entranced. So I knew I would love the live performance at the Civic Theater, with Topol in the role of Tevya, his farewell tour. But I did not know I would love it as much as I did, and as did everyone else in the audience.

Fiddler on the Roof is the story of a poor milkman in a small village of Antevka, Russia in the early 1900's. Tevya has a personal relationship with God, and talks to him frequently, often complaining a little.

"You made many many poor people, I realize of course its no shame to be poor, but its no great honor either. Now what would be so terrible if I had a small fortune?" This is the intro to the spirited song "If I Were a Rich Man," a song I love for many MANY reasons. And Topol, at 73, makes it look so easy.

But Tevya is in a time of change, a time where the traditions of his village are at odds with a changing world, and this play is about how he copes with that.

It is amazingly relevant, after so many years still so bright, funny, touching, and this production was well wrought. The dancing took my breath away, and I am not a dancing aficionado per se. I can not think of a better production of this classic but still fresh play.

We went with friends Emily and Seth. And I suspect that they were not sure that they would really enjoy it...and I heard them laughing out loud, and know they were amazed by the dancing.

Classics such as "Matchmaker," and "Sunrise, Sunset," never sounded so good. And above it all Topol. Who made Tevya so human, so much an everyman, that we could all relate to his struggles, not just the struggles to keep bread on the table and roof over his head, but the struggle to keep some beauty and poetry in his life.

It is like a fiddler on the roof...trying to survive, while still making some kind of beautiful music. This play helped all who watched it do that. It was one of those play-going experiences that I will never forget.

No comments: