Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Movie- Guys and Dolls

I love some of the music in Guys and Dolls, I love musicals, and I think Sinatra is the bomb. So I thought I would love Guys and Dolls (1955), one of those good old, epic, classic musicals. Eh---not so much.

Guys and Dolls cost a fortune to make back in the '50s. And it is extravagant...a huge cast and big sets. However, the main players are either miscast...Marlon Brando as a singing, heart-of-gold thug? Or their dialogue and the way they were made to enunciate was so bad---Sinatra always saying "I do not," or "it shall not be, "...no contractions, just stilted language---was so bad it made me wince.

Yes, I enjoyed the couple of songs, Guys and Dolls and Luck Be a Lady, but even those I wanted to go back and just listen to Old Blue Eyes sing solo, of Buble, or any of a number of other singers.

Sometimes an old musical is simply dated and stilted. This was one of those times.

I'll go watch My Fair Lady again.

At least that is my opinion.

No comments: