Monday, April 7, 2008

Movie-De-Lovely

De-Lovely is the 2004 movie about the life of Cole Porter, a musical icon whose theatrical productions are still the envy of any would be Broadway composers. He was one of the best all time.

Now I got this movie after reading a good review, and thought I would like it OK. But I really enjoyed it. Porter is played by Kevin Klein, who does a great job, as does Ashley Judd who plays his wife.

They have an exciting life, but a complicated marriage. And that is very well portrayed in the script and by the two actors. The music is wonderful (for someone who likes golden oldies like me). Everything is top notch in the film, and I can't see one place where it has a glaring weakness. From sets to cinematography, all production values are high, as befits Cole Porter.

Also guest appearances by singers like Elvis Costello, Diana Krall, Sheryl Crow and Alanis Morissette singing Porter's songs was fantastic.

Some of Porter's best known songs are: Let's Do It, Let's Fall In Love" "Night And Day" "I Get a Kick Out of You", "I've Got You Under My Skin" among dozens of others that became standards for Sinatra, Martin and many other great crooners.


And at its heart, it is a love story...a bit unconventional, but still, very much a true love story.

Very good film.

No comments: