Friday, August 8, 2008

Restaurant-Apollonia

I have had a chance to have lunch at Apollonia twice lately, and both times have been very happy. This Greek Bistro on Genesee, across from UTC is very good. Now admittedly, I had the same lunch entree both times, but a couple of different things too.

First of all, the ambiance of the place is nice- upscale, careful decorating, but not stuffy. Seating arrangement is good, not too crowded together. Nice wine list, with some reasonably priced wines in there.

The first time I went I had a cup of avgolemono, the traditional lemon chicken soup of Greece. Nice and tangy with good pieces of chicken. Then I had the papoutsakia sandwich. Quoting from the menu here, "Italian eggplant filled with seasoned ground leg of lamb, onion and pine nuts. Topped with tomato sauce and fresh basil and Feta cheese. Wrapped in Pita bread." Oh yeah! If it sounds good, it was better than it sounds.

On my second visit, Sharlynn and I split an appetizer of calamari, very nicely prepared. Again I went with the papoutsakia for my entree.

Sharlynn had the same thing both times too, the chicken souvlaki sandwich, and really enjoyed it.

For our lunches, with a glass of wine, it was very moderately priced, coming in under 30 bucks before tip, and so darn good.

I would very much recommend Apollonia Greek Bistro and 8650 Genesse Ave., in the Costa Verde Shopping Center.

No comments: