Monday, March 9, 2009

The Chain Restaurant Quest Continues-Outback Steak House

I have mentioned my resolution on New Years Day in 2008 to eat at many of this nation's chain restaurants. I soon became quite convinced that I would not be able to get more than 3-4 of them every year (or specifically, my taste buds could not take it), so this became a multi-year quest.

As our credit card company was kind enough to ask us if we wanted a restaurant gift card, and as my lovely wife knows of this strange resolution (if she doesn't entirely approve of it) she ordered the gift card for Outback Steak House, home of the famous Bloomin' Onion.

Well, we did not order that at least, though almost every other table did. Look, it was OK...but only that, and it was terribly bad for you food. The appetizer at least was not on Olympic proportion, the crab stuffed shrimp. But with breadcrumbs and cheese on it, it was not exactly healthy. I am not saying everything has to be good for you at all, but there were scant choices on this menu.

My patient wife ordered the rack of ribs. Which, once they were in front of her allowed me to say, "Nice rack!" She hears that a lot from me anyway, but from a very different perspective! And they were OK, with too much BBQ sauce, and nothing to make them stand out. I had the 3 ribs with chicken breast. Not too bad you say...well the breast is covered in cheese and bacon...

Chain restaurants have one good thing. If you eat at any of these places, you know what the food will be. Pretty much over salted, pre-fabbed meals, that if not tastless, lack any subltey or nuance. What amazed me is the line of people waiting to get in as we left. I wonder if these people really think this a fabulous food?

I am not trying to put down Outback, or any of these places too much. But as I experiment, I worry about whether people who eat here all the time are losing a real connection to food as something that can be fun, and amazing, filled with artistry of preperation and flavors that just explode on the tongue. Are we actually turning to the generic and believing it is food to die for?

The experiment will continue...beware!

No comments: