Sunday, March 22, 2009

Movie-Transsiberian

I had Transsiberian in my queue, but my friend Sharon had seen it and gave it rave reviews...and she does not give rave reviews that often. So I moved in up in my queue. And she was right. Great movie.

It focuses on a 30-ish, married couple, played by Woody Harrelson and Emily Mortimer. We see them in China, at the end of their church's missionary work there. Everybody was leaving now, and this couple decides to add some more adventure to their rewarding work. They take the Transsiberian train from China to Russia.

On the train, they meet a young couple, who share a berth with them. A handsome Spaniard and his very young American girlfriend. These two are not all they say, and are a catalyst for a terrific psychological thriller involving sexual desire, drugs, police and betrayal.

Harrelson and Mortimer are fantastic in their roles. And Ben Kingsley continues a resume of characters that is rarely equaled in variety. He plays a Russian detective, part Sherlock Holmes, part Darth Vader. He is an amazing actor and brings forth an incredible amount of menace to this deep character. I think he is trying to balance out his earlier Gandhi work!

This was a great movie. Transsiberian should have been more known, I had barely heard of it, because it is one of the best psychological thrillers I have seen in recent years.

No comments: