Monday, July 21, 2008

Rummy

And no, I don't mean a person who drinks too much rum!

So we decided not to go out to dinner Sunday night either, as Shar was a bit under the weather. But we had a nice day driving around Mission Bay looking for sites for our next bocce ball game.

After we got home we learned to play rummy, knock rummy and finally gin rummy, which we played all afternoon and evening, just having a blast.

The genesis of this comes from another game I want to learn, Mah Jong. I have heard it is complicated so I was looking up rules online, and one site said the basic idea is very similar to gin rummy. That was nice tip, not not very helpful, since I have not played gin rummy since I was an early teen. So I got trusty Klutzes Book of Card Games and away we went.

To get to gin rummy, we learned the other games first, but then concentrated on gin. Along with some cold California Breezes for me and red wine for her, it was so much fun! And I have to say, I...kicked...her... ASS! I mean, in all modesty I played well and the cards fell right for me, and I was going out gin leaving her holding all sorts of deadwood.

So she is jonzing for a rematch and I will be glad to give her one.

And this gets me a step closer to Mah Jong.

We did get out to dinner Monday....that will be my next post.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Andrew,

this is not really a comment, but I was wondering if I could see a larger version of the "chicago bridge up" on this page. I am doing research in industrial archaeology, and that bottomsided of the bridge interests me a lot! no need to see the people on the image, just the bridge itself.
could that be done please?

tnx
Wim
gent, belgium

Andrew said...

Wim,

Send your e-mail address and I will send the image to you.

Andrew said...

Wim,

I have one without the people, that is the one I will send so you can see the bridge.

Andrew

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

thanks!
w