Saturday, March 29, 2008

Accupuncture for Migraines

At a dead end in treating my migraines and constant headaches medically (well almost a dead end as I will explain) I have opted with my doctors consent to try acupuncture.

My one medical option is botox---basically injecting poison into my head. While it may work, and may give me a permanently surprised look, I thought I would try acupuncture first. I of course went to Holistic Traditions, where my massage therapist, Aaron Sas resides, and where his wife Sara is well versed in Oriental medicine, including being a certified acupuncturist.

Now, I have an open mind. I do not dis-believe very much. I think there is much to be discovered about our world, we just don't have the perception yet. In every age we think we are so smart, and then...ooops, the world is round...oooops, we are not the center of the universe...ooops you can split the atom and kill millions of people...oops, we can send a man to the moon...well, you get the idea. So if asked if I believe in something, ghosts, life after death, UFO's, life on other planets etc ad naseum...I think all these things are possible.

But for myself personally, if I saw an ET coming out of a spaceship, I would be skeptical. I would look around for a film crew, check my memory to see if I could have eaten some strange herbs, asked myself what other explanation could there be.
I'm just explaining this so you see my mind set. So when going into acupuncture, let us say I think it can work great, but let's see if it works for me.

Some of the stuff, I was a bit skeptical about. But Sarah thinks some of the problem lies with my chi being too hot in my head due to a liver imbalance~~~~~uhhh, OK. I guess it should be NO surprise that it might be my liver.

So we get all the talk done, and here come the needles. It did not hurt, for the most part...and even when it did, it was just a little, nothing like getting your nipple pierced (which I have done twice). After she gets a bunch of needles in me, from head to toe, she lets me lie there for about 30 minutes.

I did not think my headache was getting better, but about 20 minutes into it, as I am lying on my back, the strangest sensation came over me. It is hard to describe, but it felt like waves of energy travelling up my body, from my feet to my neck, and then dissipating out my chest...I got about three waves of this really intense and strange and wholly unexpected sensation. And it felt like something fundamental going on.

The next odd thing was when I turned over and she put some needles on my back. She went for sin the middle of my back, and it felt like my skin and muscles were gathering together in that spot. Almost like a magnet was placed there and everything was trying to come to it...and it was before she even put the needle in! She laughed and said, "Yeah, that is a liver area right there."

That evening, my headache was gone, or at least the lowest point of pain in years. The bad thing is that night about 2 in the morning I woke up with it returning with a vengeance.

I have another session on Tuesday, and we will see how it goes. But there is something intersting to it, and I am anxious to see how it goes with more treatments. I do know that there was an effect...if it was my chi, or chakra, or just because I ahd a bunch of needles stuck all over my, I can't say yet. But, I am willing to give it some time before the botox is tried. I mean, if I have to have needles stuck in me, it may as well be sans poison.

No comments: