Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Movie-Anything But Love

Anything But Love is a quirky, corny, unknown film from 2004. The only name star (and that is a strech) is Andrew McCarthy, but I thought the film was successful and unique, with the main actress, Isabel Rose, just doing a fabulous job.

it is a musical I guess, and a period piece, in that she acts like she lives in a technicolor 1950's era movie. But somehow, especially due to her performance, it all works together here, despite it sounding like it would be a mess.

This isn't for everybody...I will admit that. Billie Gordon (Isabel Rose) is a cabaret singer, who has fantasies that seem right out of Doris Day films, complete with musical and dance numbers. But her choice comes between two men, one rich and a bit of an ass, and one poor, but loves her art as much as she does.

As I said, Isabel Rose shines, and it surprises me that she has not been in a lot more films. Her acting is natural, and she...she is beautiful, but seems like someone you would know...her beauty is very organic, and not at all Hollywood or typical. And she sings like a lark.

Again, this movie is not for everyone. Sharon may not like it, but D, I think may. Of course I may be wrong completely about that...I frequently am.

No comments: