Monday, March 3, 2008

New Restaurant

OK...it is not new, but it is the first time I have tried it. Hometown Buffet my friends!

Some of you may know of my idiotic resolution to try some chain restaurants this year. No, I have not eaten at most chains. I feel culturally deprived of my American psyche. Maybe that is why I am such a liberal and do not like GW--because I don't eat good wholesome American chain cusine.

And, coming off a good outing in Dec at the Red Lobster, I was ready (with Sharlynn scowling at me all the way) to try Hometown Buffett.

It was...ahem...really...f'ing terrible! I cannot imagine ever wanting to eat there again. I could not tell the chicken from the fish from the bread from the steak. Almost everyone working there was obese, and so were many of the customers. I think I saw the character from Gone Baby Gone there. And a dude looked a lot like Alice Cooper, on a bad trip day.

Sharlynn (who was a good sport about it-she even found a coupon for it) and I were talking about how bad the place is, and how many of the people eating the food looked pretty...well, unhealthy would be nice, when all of a sudden, across my field of vision heading to the buffet, was my own mother. I almost choked I was about to laugh out loud. I peeked under a divider and saw my dad sitting there waiting for mom to get her stuff so he could get his.

Well, we had to say hi, and we did not eat with them, because we were just getting our banana pudding as dessert and they were just on their first trip through the greasy, overcooked, tasteless laden steam trays.

I can think of only two reasons I would eat there again. If I was so out of my mind stoned, that it somehow sounded really good to me, or, if someone were holding a gun to Sharlynn's head threatening to shoot her if I did not eat there. Other than that, I think I will let that piece of Americana keep to itself.

Ohhhhhh...where is the Pepto?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I couldn't agree more! The food was down right terrible! I have never been to jail but I think that is what the food would look like. I went with my mom once. BTW-she loves it. Old folks just can't get enough of that place. They offer a senior citzen discount. I took one glance around and I knew I was the only one that had paid full price.

Andrew said...

Maybe your mom and my parents should have an outing!? LOL LOL!

Prison food might be better, not as much choice, but better tasting.

Alex Yates said...

Amen brother! I always dodged that place because I figure if I'm going to a buffet that's not in Vegas, I'll hit up Souplantation and their tasty oriental salad.

I always thought reps for gym memberships should stand outside Hometown Buffet.

Or reps for artery clogging meds.

Nice review bud!

Anonymous said...

I gotta admit, when Andy said to me at the start of the year he wanted to try chain restaurants, my response was "really?" "There's so many "good" restaurants we haven't tried yet." But I decided to be open minded and see if I've been missing something. I haven't really indulged in good ole American food.
I dutifully set aside the coupon page for Hometown Buffet.
The cashier carefully cut out one of the coupons and handed the rest back to me. Andy says "oh good we can use those another time." I swing my head to look & see if he was serious. There was that cock eyed smile. I'm trying not to get the giddies.
Ya know, what can I say about the food except it was truly the worst I've ever tasted! I grabbed some wings thinking at least those looked okay. How could wings have no flavor? Not to sound bad but as i looked around at the clientel, It really hit home on the obesity problem in America.
Talk about bad nutritional choices! I'm not trying to say I never eat junk food but I'm aware that it is bad. I can honestly say & hopefully w/o offending anyone, a lot of people aren't aware what they're eating is unhealthy. Sitting it that restaurant really brought it out for me.
I'll quit carrying on about bad nutrition. The experience was amusing! I do love that Andy is eclectic & likes to try different things. We have had many fun experiences!

Sharon said...

OMG! I'm laughing out loud reading this blog! TOO frickin funny, dude! I should have warned you about that place...here's another tip: Dumpster diving -- don't do it. Tempting, I know. We all have our dreams man...I mean, resolutions...Mine is to give trailor park life a whirl...Like Hometown Buffet, there is something oddly attractive about it...ummm...okay...it's just weird. Your resolution, my friend...is a bit odd.

Andrew said...

OK...maybe a bit odd. But Red Lobster had worked so well, I thought I would just sail through. The good thing is, I think that was the bottom of the barrel. Applebees, Black Angus, Boston Market, Olive Garden, Chili's, Sizzler and Tony Roma's---none of them can be as bad as HTB, can they?

Maybe this is a two year project~

Sharlynn is thrilled, as you can imagine. I think she is going to try to recruit you for an intervention when you are out to visit.